Academy of Fellows Criteria
SAME Academy of Fellows Criteria
To be a Fellow of the Society of American Military Engineers (SAME), nominees must be shown to have provided dedicated and outstanding service to both SAME and to the engineering and related professions.
Ten (10) active years of membership and current membership are minimum requirements.
- Provide the number of years of active membership in SAME. [NOTE: Just a number will suffice.]
- Explain any gaps in membership.
- Society Leadership Positions
List elected and appointed leadership positions and dates held at National, Regional and Post levels. [NOTE: Just a list will suffice. Activities undertaken and results achieved in the listed positions are to be addressed under Criteria 3, Outstanding Service to SAME.]
- Outstanding Service to SAME
Noteworthy contributions reaching the level of “outstanding service” to SAME should include specific efforts and the results from those efforts.
- For each elected and appointed SAME leadership position listed in Criteria 2, cite the achievements accomplished while in the position and the benefit(s) to the Post or Region.
- Cite SAME activities that demonstrate dedicated and outstanding service, such as:
- mentoring and/or enhancing students’ and Young Members’ involvement with SAME;
- increasing SAME membership;
- leading training and education achievements;
- conducting presentations at SAME meetings and conferences;
- building relationships between the private sector and government;
- involvement in joint engineering operations, emergency preparedness and response in furtherance of national defense and homeland security;
- forming or participating in partnerships and alliances with other professional societies and related associations;
- supporting community outreach; and
- efforts toward the achievement of other goals and objectives set forth in the SAME Strategic Plan.
[NOTE: The SAME Strategic Plan, available on the SAME website at www.same.org/strategicplan, sets forth goals and objectives for the society as a whole. Individuals contribute to those goals and objectives. Nominees’ efforts toward achieving those goals and objectives are considered most pertinent in establishing outstanding service to SAME. The sub-bullets above are intended to incorporate some of the SAME Strategic Plan’s goals and objectives, and as many as possible of the above sub-bullets should be addressed. This is not an inclusive list, and other efforts in furtherance of society goals and objectives are most pertinent as well and must be addressed.]
- Career Leadership Positions
List leadership positions and dates held throughout the nominee’s engineering or related profession career. [NOTE: Just a list will suffice. Activities and results achieved in the listed positions are to be addressed under Criteria 5, Outstanding Service to the Engineering Profession.]
- Outstanding Service to the Engineering Profession
Noteworthy contributions reaching the level of “outstanding service” to the engineering profession should include specific efforts and the results achieved from those efforts.
- For each leadership position listed in Criteria 4, cite the achievements accomplished while in the position and the benefit(s) that followed.
- Cite contributions and activities of the nominee’s engineering or related profession that demonstrate “outstanding service” to the engineering profession, such as:
- developing and implementing innovative approaches in managing significant engineering projects;
- mentoring young engineers;
- mentoring and inspiring students to become engineers;
- preparing proposals for significant engineering and related studies and projects;
- participation in community outreach to promote the public’s understanding of the contributions of the engineering profession to the quality of life;
- research, development and technology transfer of engineering and related technology;
- teaching engineering and related subjects to advance the engineering professional and participation on professional committees and groups;
- writing of professional articles for publication; and
- any other efforts that advance the engineering profession.
[NOTE: As many as possible of the sub-bullets above should be addressed. Many other activities can advance the engineering profession and should be addressed as well.]
- Awards and Honors
List professional, SAME and community service awards or honors received by the nominee.
- Provide the name and description of the award.
- State what it was the nominee did to be selected to receive the award or honor.