Small Business Council
Small businesses are more important than ever!
Small business firms contribute approximately 80 percent of our nation’s job growth. Our entrepreneurial approach fosters innovation, drive and success. Often considered “renegades,” we are an invaluable asset to our nation’s economy and the military mission.
The SAME Small Business Council is committed to keeping SAME Members informed with the most up–to–date information from the world of small business. We regularly send out an electronic newsletter to help you stay ahead of the latest trends and take advantage of current developments in growth and partnerships.
If you are interested in getting more information about Small Business Council activities, or in serving on the SAME Small Business Council, please send an e-mail with your contact info to
The Small Business Council's mission is to promote the role and relevance of small business in SAME through outreach, training, opportunity and recognition.
YOUR SMALL BUSINESS COUNCIL
The Small Business Council was established in 2001 by a group of SAME small business firm members who identified a specific need. The council works to:
- Inform SAME of technical programs of interest to small business members
- Provide opportunities to meet with key military decision makers
- Represent small business interests on select SAME national committees
- Keep members informed on small business regulations and legislation
- Provide opportunities to highlight small business success stories and lessons learned
- Recognize and reward small business firms through the Gen. Robert Flowers Small Business Award
As a result of our efforts, the council’s accomplishments include:
- Advocating small business technical tracks at the annual SAME Joint Engineer Education and Training Conference & Expo
- Providing a small business networking booth at the SAME Joint Engineer Education and Training Conference & Expo for firms and procurement specialists to meet and talk
- Recognizing local Posts for their contribution to and support of small business firms
- Providing insight and recommendations for overcoming bonding and insurance constraints through participation in bonding and insurance roundtables
- Increasing the number of articles in The Military Engineer written by small business firms
- Supporting and partnering with the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers at its annual Small Business Conference
- Notifying members of legislative changes that may impact their businesses
- Advocating partnerships with other professional organizations, fostering additional forums for training for member firms
- Increasing participation by small business firms at the local and national level through the addition of Post Small Business Liaison officers at every Post.
The Small Business Council welcomes your participation. We look forward to hearing about how we may continue to support the professional development and success of your small business firm. We encourage you to get involved!
Gita Murthy, Ph.D.
Chair, SAME Small Business Council
Small Business Council Newsletter
Click on the links below for the latest editions of Small Business Connections, the SAME Small Business Council Newsletter in PDF Format.
Small Business Council Meeting Minutes [PDF format]
- January 28, 2014
- February 22, 2013
- August 14, 2012
- May 22, 2012
- March 12, 2012
- February 10, 2012
- January 9, 2012
- November 28, 2011
- October 31, 2011
- October 3, 2011
- August 29, 2011
- August 8, 2011
- June 20, 2011